Hyper-V : guest NIC reported 0 bps
rni796
2009-01-27 14:11:01 UTC
i've guests OS, Windows 2003 SP2, integration services installed, it's
running on host Win2k08 SP1 (build 6001). There is no issue on the NIC if i
use legacy network - emulation of Intel 21140 Based PCI.

but if i use the other Network Adaptor ( synthetic , which is detected as
Ms. VM Bus Network on the guest) and login as a non admin user, the speed on
the NIC reported as 0 bps, while if i login as admin, the speed on the NIC
reported as 10 Gbps.

is there a way to correct the 0 bps status when login as non-admin user?
d***@gmail.com
2013-11-22 01:52:18 UTC
Hey, more than three years later this still seems to be an issue. In my case it's a 2012 R2 Hyper-V host with a Win 2003 SP2 (32-bit) fully patched guest also. Legacy NIC is good but the synthetic NIC shows 0 bps in Task Manager and was fairly useless for transferring files.

It was fine for light RDP use so it took me a while to figure out what was wrong. I added the Legacy NIC and that shows 100 Mbps. I left the synthetic NIC and that still shows 0 bps. I've since removed the newer-style NIC in favor of the Legacy type.

Seems like there aren't many reports of this. I only saw this and one report on TechNet which says that it's a bug but only because you're not logged on as an admin. That's not the experience I had. Just thought I'd add my 2 bits.

See image in Task Manager https://app.box.com/s/dmom3cgw6cq6cw3u8zmc
d***@gmail.com